Saturday, February 27, 2010

First long run of the year

I ran 14 miles today, which is the farthest I have run in probably 3 years. Actually, I didn't run the whole way. Somewhere around 10 miles in, I had a crisis of confidence. It was cold, windy and raining. Pink Shuffle was having moisture issues and was living in my pocket. I stepped into an ankle-deep puddle and 2 cars splashed me as they passed. I was a little tired, frozen, soaked and generally miserable. My right hamstring was tight and twitchy, and top it all off, I had a zyrtec hangover. I was a long way from home with no fast way to get there. It was all I could do not to sit down on the curb and cry for my mommy. But I didn't do that. What I did do was take several healthy walk breaks until I could get my mind wrapped back around running. I managed to finish the distance in some semblance of a run, drove home and stood in a hot shower until the water turned cool. I think I can put a tally in the Successful column for today's run. 26.2 is going to be hard, and I only have 13 more weeks to get ready. At least I know that as of today, I can make it half way.

No comments:

Post a Comment