Sunday, March 28, 2010

I had a good day today

I worked today, and got floated to another floor (nurse-speak for getting sent to work on a floor other than your own). I loved it. I had a great assignment -- total cake. Three patients, four by the end of the day, all of whom required little attention. Basically, I babysat and gave meds. I only gave one narcotic. I made rounds, checked in, did little things, but for a good part of the day, I got to sit and do education, sit and visit, eat a real lunch, and visit some more. It was so much fun spending time with nurses that I know, but don't get to see very often. And we all had a fairly relaxed day (well, except for the guy that was transferred to us in really bad shape, and who spent less than 45 minutes on the floor before another nurse and I wheeled him to the unit).

I like that floor. Every time I go there, I say that. I like that floor. They have the whole teamwork thing down pat. It was nice to be in the midst of that today.

Tomorrow I will be back on my floor, precepting my orientee. She is and will be good. Tomorrow she gets three patients by herself. I will have two, which should make for an easy day for me, right??? It doesn't work that way. What is required of me is to be in charge of all 5 patients, but I have to let go the management of three of them. I am still responsible. The assignment is mine, but I delegate to her. I have trouble with that, but it is what needs to happen. I have set us up for hard assignments for the next month -- she needs to see as many surgical patients as possible. She has the chops. She just needs to re-enter the game.

So, today, I was really glad to have a day where I spent as much time visiting with my patients as I did taking care of them. I was glad to have time to laugh, talk and gossip with other nurses. I was glad to have a long lunch. I had a good day today.

No comments:

Post a Comment