Thursday, March 11, 2010

Treadmill Repeats

Is there anything quite as numbing as running on the treadmill? Those folks in the northern hinter-lands spend lots of time and mileage on the mill this time of year. Those folks in the balmy south spend winters running outdoors. We save our treadmill time for the summer, when it is too hot to breathe outside. Except me. I like running in the heat. Humidity, not so much, but heat generally doesn't bother me. So there really is no reason that I should be doing my interval running on the treadmill. No reason whatsoever, other than I am a big baby about interval training. I need a track, preferably one with a decent surface. There are several of those around here, but I am a little bit limited by my single-parenthood. I can only run during the day when small people are in school. The HS tracks are in use during the day. I actually could (and have) go at night, but small people don't tolerate that level of boredom well, and so usually find themselves in one predicament or the next, which doesn't lend itself to a good workout. So, because I am a big baby, I do my repeats on the treadmill. I suppose that is penance enough.

Yesterday's workout was 10 miles with 10 x 1/2 mile repeats of increasing speed. That sounds really sexy, but as I am still a turtle, the sexy isn't there. But, I did end up running the last 3 repeats at about a 7:10 minute mile or thereabouts, so they all weren't totally slow. 3 mile warm up, 1 mile cool down, with 60-90 sec recovery between repeats. I was tired at the end, but not completely done in, and the repeats themselves didn't kill me. I think that next week I will progress to 3/4 mile repeats.

My next project is to find a stapler or something to seal my mouth closed after 5pm. Because, if my butt gets any bigger, it will need its own zip code. Geez.

Total: 10 miles
Total for week: 14.5 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment