Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Spring Break and Appointments

The small people are out of school this week. Totally forgot that when I made The Appointment. I spent Monday at work trying to suss out someone to babysit for me. My college girls who are the backbone of my childcare life were in class, as was College Boy. Friends were out of town, others were busy with appointments of their own. Co-workers' daughters and sisters were unavailable. There was nothing left to do but cancel The Appointment, which I really and truly did not want to do. You see, I knew if I canceled, I wouldn't reschedule. Classic me. My busy gets in the way of life. I worried this and fretted that and made big sad eyes at everyone, but it wasn't until my cracked open place widened and my dear, dear friend at work peeked in and saw the abyss, that The Appointment became a certainty. She simply was not going to give me an excuse to defer, to avoid. She, a keeper of a mother's greatest sorrow, offered to do something to help. It didn't come to that -- Miss Kati, my could-be-daughter, walked in and said "Sure!" when I asked if she would watch the small people for a couple of hours -- but the blessing was that I needed my friend, and she was there.

So, I went to The Appointment. This might be a good fit for me. It is too soon to tell, but he didn't want to muck about in all the big owies of my childhood, or the trauma of my teens, or my mommy and daddy issues and all the injustices served upon me all my life. Whew. Talked about the fairly recent here and now and the incident that brought me there. I didn't have to cry. Straight talk, straight up. I was worried that I was walking that dark, enticing path towards unraveling. He smiled and said "Oh, no. Not at all". And he gave me tools. Simple things, but, like a hammer, a simple tool is effective. 50 minutes went quickly, but not so quickly that he didn't have time to pray with me. I shared prayer with a counselor. I am an Episcopalian with a Baptist-channeling priest; an Episcopalian with a Pentecostal co-worker who prays her love for me (ain't no one can pray like a Pentecostal); an Episcopalian who now has a therapist who prays with her. There might be something to that. Anyway, since I am not actively crazy, I am allowed to roam free. At least until my next Appointment.

Totally forgot to schedule Spring Break into Marathon Training. And so, because we are on Spring Break time, I did NOT do my sorta long run on Tuesday. Instead, I ran 8 miles, with 6 x 3/4 mile repeats and a cooldown on the treadmill, as I was lacking in -- you guessed it -- babysitters.

Total: 8 miles
Total for week: 12 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment