Monday, March 15, 2010

I think God is telling me something....

I think what God is telling me is that Bayshore will be run in the rain. At least, that is what I am preparing for. Three long runs so far in this training cycle. Two long runs done in the wind and rain. If nothing else, I know that I can run 14+ miles with soaking, sopping heavy shoes and not get huge blisters.

It wasn't actually a terrible run, not in the beginning. My legs were a little tired, but not completely dead. Because there was a good possibility of thunder and lightning, I decided to run a route where at the farthest point, I would be within three miles of the Y, where I start. Good decision. This is a nice running route, but it is quite hilly, esp for central FL. Bad decision. I ran the first three easy, stopped at the church on the corner for a drink, and headed into a residential area with a bunch of half-mile long cross-streets between 2 main roads. These are fun to run because there is a nice little rise and a slight downslope on each cross-street, so each street has a small hill in either direction (out and back). I was running along one of the main roads between turns onto the cross-street, out in the pouring rain, just trotting along, when an SUV pulled up beside me and a young man and a young woman offered me a ride. I mean, who the hell is out in the rain in the winter in Florida?! I politely declined. They offered again. Truly, they looked concerned for me. I explained (while running) that I still had 10 miles left to run but thank you anyway, at which point both went kind of slack-jawed. I turned onto my side street. The car followed, the man asked if I was sure, and then wished me luck. I have never, ever had anyone offer me a ride while running before. Heck, no one ever even honks at me. Anyway....kind of funny.

The first 10 miles were fine. I felt slow, but strong. The last four, however, I whined, I pouted, I pissed and I moaned. By the end my shoes were so heavy I could barely lift my feet. I was saturated with rain, cold, and all I could think about was how warm a jigger of bourbon would feel in my belly. Thank goodness that it started to thunder when I was a mile away from the Y. That thunder turned what should have been a miserable 16 mile run into a slightly less miserable 14 mile run. It was an out, an excuse, and I took it. If I had absolutely had to, I would have made the 16 miles. But it was probably a better call to quit early, and save the wear and tear on my body. I already have some stiffness and a blossoming tendonitis on the dorsal part of my right foot. I can hear massage therapy calling my name. 3 weeks in and I need a small tune up. The joys of distance running -- welcome back, Sarah

Total: 14 miles.
Total for week: 33 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment