Saturday, March 27, 2010

The reason for the run

Last night, after work, Soldier-Son came over to gather his car and the few belongings remaining here. He was angry, which has become his middle name. He didn't want to purchase the car for the small sum of $1,000. He wanted me to give him the car. I allowed that he was entitled to his feelings and his argument, but this was not a negotiation. One deal, take it or leave it. He sputtered and fumed and ranted, but in the end, he paid for his car and had it taken away. He probably won't ever talk to me again, but he hasn't talked to me in a year, so that won't be a change. I could tell that he still wants me to love him, but he just can't accept that right now. A very hard place to be.

When I could finally turn my brain off to where I knew that I could sleep, I also turned off the alarm. My long run for the week happened on Tuesday. I was tired and emotionally spent. I needed to sleep until I was ready to wake up. I am 47. I have taken a beating this week, and so I forgave myself for opting out of 18 miles and sleeping in.

I awoke at 8, which is late for me. I didn't leave the house to run until after 10. I started from the Y, as this is one of my favorite routes. I planned 8 miles, but I knew after 2, when I just wasn't getting warmed up and my legs were still leaden, and the run was still slow that I would only be doing 6 miles. I needed walk breaks --the wind was killer and it is oak pollen time, so between zyrtec and the sneezing it was tough. But as I was passing the turn to the next lake, which would make it an 8 mile run, on a whim, I took the turn.

Running around Lake Morton, wondering why in Sam Hill I had turned, I came upon a lovely young woman crossing the street. Beautiful red hair and a green sweater. She had been looking at the swans, and was turning to leave. So sad she was. So very, very sad. The misery of the ages was in her bearing and her eyes. I stopped. She looked at me. I turned off Pink Shuffle. I said to her, "You look as sad as I feel". She said nothing, just stood there looking at me. "It is a guy, right?" She nodded. "I am so sorry, honey." And we stood there, looking at each other, and she started to cry. She said, "I just need a hug". And so, right in the middle of the street, two hurting strangers met and held each other.

We must have hugged each other for at least 30 seconds. I told her, "You feel like you can't live through this, but you will". She said, "Thank you". We hugged one more time. I said, "You are a beautiful woman. It will get better, but not today. But it will get better". She nodded. And we parted ways. I hope she is well. I hope that she remembers that today, a stranger cared about and cared for her. I don't think you get many of those encounters in life...random connections that are good, and selfless and loving. I needed that hug as much as she did. Perhaps that is why God sent me around that lake, because that connection surely was the reason for the run.

Total: 8 miles
Total for week: 21.5 miles.

1 comment:

  1. Running can take us to unexpected places sometimes ... thank you for sharing this run.

    ReplyDelete